Have bombs, will blow stuff up. That’s the basic idea of BinB, a retro-themed arcade game from Kendja. Your job is to banish all of the enemies in each stage while hunting for treasure. You do this by placing bombs one at a time, clearing away rubble and opening crates with impressively far-reaching explosives. It’s a little bit of planning, a little bit of action, and a whole lot of bomb-setting. Lucky for you, we’ve got a BinB strategy guide that will help you nab gold medals without getting burned!
Moving around in BinB is simple enough: just use the arrow keys or WASD to walk in the four main directions. In addition to shuffling your feet around, you can also press Z or spacebar to drop bombs and shift or X to use special items. To pick up an item, simply tap the spacebar while standing over it.
The goal of each stage is to defeat all of the enemies and uncover the exit stairs. There are treasures to find and gold to be mined, but those are pretty much optional if you’re just heading towards the end of the game. Power-ups, most of which automatically take effect, can be found by destroying crates, and you can pick up score-enhancing gems by blasting open treasure chests.
In addition to minding your own bomb blasts, you’ll have to keep an eye out for enemies in BinB. Take out the baddies using a variety of strategies, but avoid touching them at all costs. You can only suffer a few hits per level, and while damaged, you can’t set bombs, which eats precious time off of the clock!
Busting open crates and chests you find rewards you with one of two things: score-increasing gems, or power-ups! Either way, you’ll want to break everything you can get your bomb-toting mitts on so you can get more and more powerful.
- Extra bombs – The green power-ups allow you to set an extra bomb. The more you get, the more explosives you can have on-screen at a time. Needless to say, the more bombs the better!
- Fire – Collecting these items increases your bomb’s explosive range. Be careful with your new-found power!
- Speed boost – Pick up the boot icon for a small increase in your walking speed. The faster you are, the easier time you’ll have avoiding everything dangerous. Which is pretty much everything…
- Pickaxe – Want to dig for gold coins but don’t want to lay bombs? Equip the pickaxe and tap X to dig through the soil one square at a time. A great tool that helps you lay bombs and stay safely out of the way. Use it as often as you can, and keep an eye out for the upgraded pickaxe that clears more blocks with each swing!
- Teleportation – A magical rod that grants you the ability to teleport short distances. Simply face the direction you want to move and tap the X button. You’ll jump forward several spaces and appear at the next open spot. Extraordinarily useful for escaping dangerous situations as well as hopping around the stage to save time.
- Detonator – A small device that allows you to set and remote detonate bombs with the press of a button. An indispensible tool for dealing with some enemies.
General BinB Strategies
- To exit each stage, you must defeat all of the enemies. Make them a priority and go for any spawn points you find right off the bat.
- Bomb blasts only travel vertically and horizontally. You can hide diagonal to a bomb and be safe from its flames!
- Gems are found in golden chests and give you loads of points. Coins are worth fewer points but add time to the clock and can be found by blowing up sections of dirt. Both are important for a high score, but don’t spend too much time seeking them out.
- Levels are randomly generated, so if you don’t like the looks of things when you first enter, simply quit and re-enter to shuffle things around.
- Each enemy has a different intelligence pattern you can learn to exploit. Many are frightened of bombs and will turn away as soon as you set one. Others are drawn towards you and will run straight into a blast if given the chance. Watch enemies and see how they react to your actions, then use that against them for a quick victory!
- Enemy generators take several hits to get rid of. Surround them with bombs to make quick work of these time-wasting hazards.
- The teleportation staff is extremely useful for moving across the stage in very little time. Use it to make a quick exit to shave a few seconds off the clock.
- Medals are awarded based on time left and overall score for each stage. The best way to go for the gold is to be efficient, head straight for the enemies, and don’t spend too much time opening crates and chests.
- Bomb blasts will destroy exposed power-ups, so when you’re opening a crate or chest, be careful.
- Digging for coins takes time, but each one adds a few seconds to the clock. If gold is one or two squares away, it’s worth grabbing! On many levels, this is the only way to get the gold medal.