These zombies aren’t out for a casual stroll. They’re out marching, and they happen to be marching in your direction! Combining a simple tile-swapping puzzle element with a strategic, upgrade-centric defense game, Marching Zombies puts you in the unlucky shoes of a farm owner trying to defend your animals from advancing hordes of undead. Your weapons include grenade launchers, animal traps, air strikes and laser turrets. Your currency? Swapped and matched tiles!
Marching Zombies is divided into two main gameplay areas: the tile-swapping puzzle mode and the upgrades shop. You’ll spend almost all of your time working in puzzle mode to make matches and stop the advancing zombie hordes at the top of the screen. Outfitting yourself with the proper weapons, traps, and defensive items will make or break your game, though, so don’t neglect scrutinizing the items in the shop before you start the next round!
- Reserve brains and hearts for moments when you need them the most. They’re very handy and shouldn’t be squandered!
- Gather resources as quickly as you can, making the biggest matches you can find. Your items consume resources at an alarming rate, so you’ll thank yourself later in the wave when you have enough forge points for that air strike.
- Unleashing weapon attacks gives you a few moments to swap some tiles. Do it!
- Matching sword blocks attacks the lead zombie in the line. You also gain resources for these blocks, making them a prime target for your clicky mouse cursor.
- Items that slow zombies down can be more useful than you think, as they buy you time to make more matches and gather more resources.
- Clickable items such as hearts and brains will disappear after use, but you can also swap them with other tiles by choosing the other tile first, then the clickable item. Use this to make important matches.
- The zombies don’t stop attacking when you buy/equip items from the puzzle part of the game. Be fast or get things set before the round begins so you don’t lose precious time!
- Don’t focus your purchases on one type of item. Spread your cash around the store to keep a good mix of equippables in your arsenal!
- Some items work well together, such as turrets and fans. The fans slow zombies down, while turrets peck at them with repeated attacks.
Puzzle Mode Tiles
There are two types of tiles found in the main puzzle mode of Marching Zombies: resource tiles and clickable tiles. The former net you valuable resources and can deal damage to the advancing zombie horde. The latter are one-use items that vanish after you click on them. Along with your arsenal of traps, chainsaws and guns, these are the weapons at your disposal for suppressing the swarms of zombies!
- Sword – Basic attack tiles that deal damage to the first zombie in the advancing line as well as adding to your stockpile of resources to the left.
- Shield – Defensive tiles that add to your resources.
- Money – Want to buy more cool things? Match money tiles whenever you can!
- Forge – Absolutely necessary for using any special item, forge tiles will be the bane of your existence when they are few in number.
- Skulls – No effect. Clear them only if you must.
- Hammer and wrench – Click to instantly fix your lead building.
- Brains – A clickable block that slows the lead zombie down considerably. Use sparingly and make sure a new zombie is in the lead before clicking a new one.
- Hearts – Another clickable item that does something really useful: kills the lead zombie in an instant!
- Bomb – Click the bomb to destroy all surrounding tiles, earning credit for each resource block cleared. Note that clickable items such as brains and hearts are not collected if blown up by a bomb.
- Clover – This elusive gem will destroy all zombies on the screen with a single click. Lucky!
Weapons, Traps, and Items
Aah, upgrades. How your existences makes our game more interesting! Use the cash you gather during the puzzle rounds to buy items in the store. Equip one of each type so you can use them while fighting the zombies. Using an item costs resources, though, so make sure you keep yourself well-stocked by swapping as many tiles you can.
- Grenade, Bazooka, Missile, Air Strike – The top row of attack items deal a great deal of damage, each more than the last, and can mow through multiple zombies with ease. Upgrade to more powerful versions as you have the money to. You won’t regret it!
- Chain Saw, Electric Shock, Drill, Bulldozer – Want to push groups of zombies around? The second row of attack items are a bit more inexpensive and deal a bit less damage, but they’re so much fun to watch you probably won’t care.
- AC Car Bomb, AC Heli Bomb, Weapon Turret, Laser Turret – The cheapest of the attack items, you’ll find these are handy when you need an extra push and don’t have the resources for a more powerful attack. Items like the laser turret will fire on their own after summoned, giving you multiple attacks for the price of one!
- Traps – Zombies aren’t known for being too intelligent, so a few traps will take care of one zombie each without any problem. Very inexpensive to use.
- Building Repairs – Buy and equip building repairs you can use during the game.
- Slowing items – Want to buy yourself some more time to match tiles? Use a slowing item to stall the zombies for a few moments.