A simple game that will drive you absolutely mad. In a good way! Space is Key by ChrisJeff (who we recently interviewed!) is a short arcade-styled game where your only goal is to avoid the obstacles. As you probably guessed, that’s not an easy task! Dying is a part of the experience, and Space is Key keeps track of how many times you kick the bucket. Be patient, time your moves carefully, never give up, and eventually you’ll conquer the game! Oh, and reading our strategy guide helps, too!
How to Play
You are a little block who is always on the move. Tap the spacebar to jump, timing your moves to expertly avoid walls and platforms in front of you. Levels are divided into three hallways, each with its own set of obstacles. When you reach the end of a hall you’ll teleport to the one below. Each level has three sections you must complete before you move on, but fortunately for you, you respawn at the beginning of the hall when you die. Death by death, lucky jump by lucky jump, you’ll eventually make your way through the game’s 15 levels!
- The toughest jump to master is also the most useful: early jumps. When two obstacles are near each other and you can’t clear them in a single leap, hop very early. So early you’ll be afraid you won’t clear the wall. With proper timing you’ll just barely clear the far corner, setting you up for a quick jump the moment you touch the ground.
- Triple jumps employ the same early jump technique used above. When we say “master it”, we mean it!
- Tunnels are easy, all you have to do is don’t press the spacebar! They’re usually paired with rough jumps, though, so learn to hit the spacebar the moment your head clears the ceiling.
- Space is Key switches your movement speed and jump height at key points during the game. You’ll have to re-learn your timing when this happens, but don’t worry, it won’t take long to do!
- Practice makes perfect. As does patience. You’ll die hundreds of times in this game. Don’t lose heart!
A stage-by-stage walkthrough for Space is Key!
Simply hit the spacebar to jump over the wall in the middle of the bottom section.
Still simple! Hop over the top two barriers, and for the middle, jump early so you can quickly jump again for the third.
Tall walls require closer jumps, so time your moves accordingly. Jump late to squeeze through the final gap.
Moving walls and a… tunnel?! Jump just as you emerge from the first tunnel to clear the small wall, and jump early to hit the triple jump at the end.
Big, small, big is just that: three walls with two sizes. Treat it just like a triple jump. Hop early to clear the middle section. The same applies to the small tunnel below.
Speed upgrade! Your timing will need to shift from now on, as your square moves quite a bit faster. Leap over the stairs by jumping late.
New toy to play with: pixels. Touching these small dots activates certain events on the stage. In this case, grabbing the first pixel lowers the first barrier. In the middle, each pixel lowers a section of the big wall. Below, the pixel splits the final wall for a tough jump.
Skip over the first pixel on the top level, and pick up the top pixel on the stack to the left in the middle. The bottom row is tricky, as pixels raise low walls you’ll have to avoid. Keep hopping and you’ll do fine.
Hop over the long, low walls with late jumps, and watch for two left-side blocks to fall from the ceiling in the middle. Below, the first and final blocks fall, and just when you think you’re clear, a block slides from the star.
Tough jumps with no room for error, hop early to clear the initial walls and slide gently underneath the following blocks.
Jump upgrade! Your leaps are much higher now, so once again you have to adjust your tactics. Clear the tall walls with well-timed jumps.
More tricky obstacles that require perfectly-timed late jumps. Don’t get frustrated, this one’s rough!
Once again, late jumps are your friend, as you’ll want to just barely clear the obstacles you’re trying to avoid. It’s tough with that high leap!
An early, quick hop for the first obstacle, followed by the same in the middle. Don’t try clearing the horizontal blocks with a jump, just slide below, nice and easy. On the bottom, you can clear the first obstacle with a late jump, but the last requires an early jump followed by a slide.
Clear the big wall with a late jump, followed by the three tall walls with a show of your skill. The final stretch is tough and requires perfect timing. An early jump, a slide, and two quick jumps take you through to the end.